Lost for words (fwd article)

Jesse Gaskell jeps at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Sep 11 21:28:55 UTC 2005

The question that I posed on the ILAT was in regard to the use of
historical linguisitcs and language documentation where not just one
language (English) but many languages interfered with the correct
language usage.

In order to reconstruct the root language, the speakers of the dialects
were recorded and then the phonogical system of the dialect was compared
to the five languages that were co-occurring. We began by looking at
only the root language and English, and then realized that the Italian,
German, Irish, French and Spanish had intermarried over a three
generation time period.

This resulted in the sound systems influences being evidenced in the
root language as well. Complicating this, the root language had a
dialect difference split three ways over a 100 mile distance. This is
the reason I brought up Dr. Julie Roberts. She has been mapping the
dialects of a single language. Our speakers spoke five languages
consecutively before the five Anglo languages came onto the scene.

My argument on the chat line was to proceed by going backwards. In order
for us to diagnose the root dialect of the primary root language, it was
necessary to compare the dialects per region and map them. After
comparing the dialects of each region, of the English language, we were
able to match the phonological system close enough to determine the
primary root language of this region.

Hence I suggested using English back against itself. When we have a
group of people who are intimidated by revitalization, a demonstration
of the ties between the dialect that they speak now to the primary
language encourages the speakers to see the similarities in their
dialects to the root and makes it less overwhelming. On the other hand,
by pointing out the damages caused by the invasive languages, modern
legal remedies may be applied through educational programs- once the
dialect has been recorded and recognized as a completely separate system
related to a root. Thus it is no longer lumped into an "aboriginal
English" but as a specific English, that can be shaped back into the
original language.

Sandy