Native language survives, and thrives, at Ridpath P.S. (fwd)

Thu Apr 20 20:12:33 UTC 2006

 Native language survives, and thrives, at Ridpath P.S.
 Lauren Gilchrist
04/19/06 05:00:00
http://www.mykawartha.com/ka/news/peterborough/story/3450655p-3988255c.html

For Merritt Taylor, teaching the Native as a Second Language program at Ridpath
Public School involves more than having his students recite verbs and nouns.

A typical student in his class learns Anishinaabemwin, which means not only
learning how to speak Ojibwe but also learning the songs, stories, culture,
history and ceremonies.

"You can't separate them," explains Mr. Taylor.

"The language is the glue that holds them together. That's why it's so
important we do it -- so that the language carries on. A lot of the language
has disappeared. When we were going to school, we weren't allowed to speak the
language, so it died off."

Mr. Taylor is from Curve Lake and is part of the Otter Clan.

Across Canada, there are 11 aboriginal language families, 53 languages and more
than 200 dialects.

"Out of all these languages, probably only three will survive," Mr. Taylor
estimates.

Ojibwe is one of the surviving languages.

Mr. Taylor teaches Ojibwe, or Anishinaabemwin, not only at Ridpath Public
School but also at Lakefield Intermediate and Lakefield High School.

According to Bev Moore, superintendent of teaching and learning for the local
public school board, there are only three elementary schools in the entire
board that offer the Native as a Second Language (NSL) program. Ridpath is
unique because it offers three languages -- French immersion, NSL and English.
Students can begin taking NSL in Grade 1.

Steve Girardi, principal of both Ridpath and Young's Point schools, says the
NSL program teaches the students understanding, acceptance and the value of
other cultures. The NSL program began at Ridpath in the late 1980s.

Mr. Taylor says although most of his students are from Curve Lake, many are
not.

"My classes are getting bigger," notes Mr. Taylor.

Grade 2 students Ryerson Whetung and Gabby Hoggarth enjoy Mr. Taylor's class.

"I like learning the animal words," says Gabby.

Ryerson says he now goes home and teaches his parents new words.

Mr. Taylor says one of the differences between learning Anishinaabewmin and
learning English is that the Anishinaabewmin language is 80 per cent verbs.

"In our world view, everything is moving and changing all the time, it's not
just there," he explains.

Although his students may never speak the language fluently, Mr. Taylor says
they will gain a greater appreciation for the culture.

"The most important part to me is knowing I'm doing a little bit to make sure
this language continues," he says.