Indigenous math

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 22 13:51:22 UTC 2006

Thanks Rudy, Jess and Mia
This discussion is very interesting but, to me, what it underscores is the
need to have more fluent, trained Native teachers involved in curriculum
development. (an old refrain...)

Years ago, I was heavily involved with training teachers for public schools
which served tribal communities. These cullturally-appropriate math stories
were shared, and may have served to raise awareness, but did little to
really change the way math was taught overall. The only places where real
active involvement and inclusion of culturally grounded math activities
happened were in the rare classrooms where the teacher was a member of the
community.

Although the numbers of certified Native American teachers have increased
since then, there are still not nearly enough and it is still such an up
hill battle for them to make substantial changes to established and, now,
standardized test-driven curricula of most schools.

Certainly, the charter school movement offers more potential for the
inclusion of culturally-appropriate and guided math activities and certainly
there are some such curricula developed for non-public schools serving
reservation communities,  but it is still a difficult task to lay out  more
than a few isolated lessons, i.e.,  establish a complete  set of lessons,
which reflect a range of culturally-grounded math activities.

Susan

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Faculty Affiliations: