Names

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Tue Apr 25 16:00:03 UTC 2006

Hi, David,

That does sound interesting.

The issue of materials in Indigenous languages seems to be huge and hidden.
I think we need more materials in Indigenous languages regardless of whether
monolingual white people can read them or not.

I don't know how many people on this list know H. Russell Bernard, at U.
Florida up in Gainesville. We are creating a web location where Indigenous
writers can publish and sell their work. We don't have the first one quite
up yet, because it's a beautiful, several hundred page book, with
illustrations. I figure by August or September. . . but I thought I would
let people know we are doing this.

This seems to fit with what Thiongo is saying, yes?

Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of David Gene Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:51 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Names

Mia, a very interesting discussion. Along with Genocide of the Mind, I
have enjoyed Ngugi Wa Thiongo's work on "Decolonizing the Mind" along
with his other writings about similar colonial situations in Africa. I
love his critique of African Literature as not being really African
unless it is written by Indigenous Africans, and in an African
Language. This is a blind spot in Universities worldwide.
David