Names

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Tue Apr 25 16:16:46 UTC 2006

Along these lines, actually written up for a gender conference, I have three
rules that I attempt to teach my students here at UF in all my course: field
methods, language and culture/gender/violence, morphology, phonology --
everywhere.  Almost none of my students are Ndn.  These I published in terms
of gender.  I just used the article for L&Violence.  I have edited it one
word for here:

1.  When we look towards other people and
say what they DON¹T have
may we also, simultaneously and with equal energy
say what they DO have.
2.  When we seek to teach others what we now know
may we simultaneously and with equal interest
learn what they know.
3.  When we tell/show others what we DO have
may we simultaneously and with equal detail
tell them what we do NOT have.

The point, of course, is that contact is a two-way street, or should be, or
is whether wished or not.  Human respect requires that we recognize and know
so -- or at least thus do I carry on in my classes.

MJ

reference: Hardman, MJ  2004  Feminism as an Imperialist Construct Women and
Language 27:1 Spring 2004.