More On White Privilege

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Tue Apr 25 17:03:03 UTC 2006

How We Are White By Gary Howard from the Southern Poverty Law
Journal, Teaching Tolerance

The break is over and I am ready to begin the second half of a four
hour multicultural curriculum workshop. Twenty-five teachers and
staff are scrunched into 2nd grade desks, all eyes and White faces
turned toward their one African American colleague, who has asked to
address the group. He announces that he will be leaving this workshop
immediately and resigning at the end of the year. He has lost hope in
their willingness, and ability to deal with issues of race.

After he leaves, a painful silence grips the room. I realize that my
planned agenda is no longer appropriate. Gradually the participants
begin to talk. Their comments are rife with guilt, shame, anger,
blame, denial, sadness and frustration. It becomes clear there has
been a long history leading to this moment. Together they are
experiencing a collective meltdown over the realities of race and
their own whiteness. One faculty member remarks, "I feel so helpless.
What am I supposed to do as a white teacher?"

In my 25 years of work in multicultural education, I have encountered
an almost universal uneasiness about race among White educators.
Since the publication of my book “We Can't teach What We Don't Know”:
White teachers, multiracial schools, many people have shared their
stories with me. A White teacher from California reports, "I realize
that I have contributed to the failure of my students of color by not
being able to drop the mask of privilege that I wear. Another White
teacher writes, "I thought I was going crazy. It was helpful to hear
that other White teachers feel similar confusion."

As White educators, we are collectively bound and unavoidably
complicit in the arrangements of dominance that have systematically
favored our racial group over others. In my own family, the farm was
in Minnesota that I cherish as part of our heritage was actually
stolen from the Ojibwe people only a few years before my great-
grandparents acquired it. This is only one of the countless ways I am
inextricably tied to privilege. I did not personally take the land,
yet I continue to benefit from its possession.

But privilege and complicity are only part of the story. The police
officers who brutally assaulted civil rights activists during the
Selma march in 1965 were certainly White, but so were many of the
marchers who stood on the Edmund Pettus Bridge with Dr. Martin Luther
King Jr. on that awful Sunday. It is true that three White men
dragged James Byrd to a horrific death in Jasper , Texas, but it is
also true that many White townspeople and a predominantly White jury
condemned this act of racist violence.

In the course of my work and personal reflection, I have discovered
there are many ways of being white. Some Whites are bound by
fundamentalist White orientation. They view the world through a
single lens that is always right and always white. White supremacist
hate groups represent one particularly hostile form of fundamentalist
White orientation, but there is also an uninformed and well-
intentioned version that simply has never been exposed to other
perspectives. This was my orientation from birth through my high
school years, when I had never met a person who wasn't white.
Fundamentalist White teachers often say, "I don't see color. I treat
all my students the same."

Other Whites live from an integrationist White orientation, where
differences are acknowledged and tolerated but still not fully
accepted. Integrationist Whites are self-congratulatory in their
apparent openness to racial differences, yet often paternalistic and
condescending of people of color. In this way of being White, we
prefer to keep the peace, avoid confrontation and maintain control,
rather that actually get to the core of our separate truths and
unique racial perspectives. Integrationist White teachers say to
students of color, "I know how you feel," even when we have no real
connection to their reality. This was my first orientation when I
first began "helping" Black kids in the ghetto in the 1960s. I
thought I was the answer, rather than the question.

Finally, there is the transformationist White identity, which is a
place of humility and active engagement in one's own continuing
growth and reformation. Transformationist Whites have acquired a
paradoxical identity, which allows us to acknowledge our inevitable
privilege and racism while at the same time actively working to
dismantle our legacy of dominance. Transformationist White teachers
know it is our place and our responsibility to engage issues of race
and multicultural education in the classroom.

White educators do have a choice to grow beyond our ignorance,
denial, and guilt. There is a journey, which I envision is like a
river that carries us through many confusing currents and treacherous
rapids, but which eventually can lead to a place of authentic
multicultural White identity. Ultimately, good teaching is not a
function of the color of our skin. It is much more closely related to
the temperament of our mind and the hue of our heart. We did not
choose whether to be White, but we can effect how we are White. This
is both our challenge and our hope. In the last few years I have
returned several times to work with the elementary staff who
experienced such a painful meltdown over issues of race. With courage
they have stayed on the river, chosen to look deeply into the
reflective pool of their own difficult history together, and have
come to a place of honesty and renewed commitment to a multicultural
vision for their school. At our last meeting, when the painful event
was alluded to in discussion, a newly hired Asian American asked,
"What happened?" A veteran White teacher responded, "Its a long story
we need to share with you. It will help you know who we are."

Gary Howard is currently President of the REACH Center for
Multicultural Education in Seattle. He is the author of “We Can't
Teach What We Don't Know”, available from REACH 206-545-04977

Permission granted to repost from Christine Rose; list owner of
"STAR" - Students and Teachers Advocating Respect"