Names

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Tue Apr 25 23:40:55 UTC 2006

I’m with MJ on this. . . especially about the “humble”.

Powell, by the way, for Ann, had no categories for math and science in his
document about which words should be collected. Since he controlled
publication, people who wanted to be published (read “funded”) needed to
comply with Powell’s bigotry. (And Powell WAS a bigot; his characterization
of native peoples in the document is chilling).

Mia

  _____

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of MJ Hardman
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:02 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Names

This has been of serious concern to me the whole of my professional life.
Although I only mention it when pressed — because of the viciousness and the
distortions and the ridicule — my theoretical construct of the linguistic
postulate is a way to operationalize the Lee-Sapir-Whorf (Dorothy Lee got
seriously written out) in a way that did not lead to the ranking described
below and in a way that seemed to me to get at what they-all were attempting
to make understood.  It was also a way for me to discuss the languages I was
working with without getting those ranking reactions.  It also takes the
focus off of vocabulary — far too easy a game to play — and onto perceptual
patterns.  And there, if you please to play the ranking game, linearity and
singularity don’t come off quite so nicely as fat dictionaries do.  Grammar
in so many Ndn languages is so beautiful and complex and can leave the
rankers feeling a bit humble.  Not bad.

MJ
website:  http://grove.ufl.edu/~hardman/