Endangered languages of our ancestors can flourish again

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Sun Aug 27 14:51:23 UTC 2006

Endangered languages of our ancestors can flourish again

By Richard B. Williams

		Endangered languages of our ancestors can flourish again - By
Richard B. Williams <http://www.denverpost.comnull/ci_4242689?
source=email>

		Indian Country faces a historically unparalleled affront to our
cultural survival. Of the 300 Native languages spoken at the time of
European contact, it is estimated only 20 of these languages will
still be viable in 2050. View Full Story <http://
www.denverpost.comnull/ci_4242689?source=email>

Indian Country faces a historically unparalleled affront to our
cultural survival. Of the 300 Native languages spoken at the time of
European contact, it is estimated only 20 of these languages will
still be viable in 2050. The rest will be irrevocably lost, and with
them will go the traditional knowledge that has sustained our people
since time immemorial.

The impact will not be limited to Indian Country alone. The loss of
cultural, spiritual, medicinal and historical indigenous knowledge
has ramifications for all.

If we continue to ignore these truths, this loss will come to pass
just as certainly as the sun continues to rise and set in the sky.
Yet, just as an eclipse shows us that sometimes the inevitable
patterns of nature can be altered, so do we have the ability to
change our future when it comes to saving our languages. But we
cannot wait.

Fortunately, we are blessed to have the solution to language recovery
in our hands. Offered to us by our indigenous brothers and sisters
from around the globe, the language-immersion education programs
developed by the Maori of New Zealand and Native Hawaiians have shown
us that we can reverse the rapid loss of our languages.

 From them, we know that it is possible for our languages to flourish
again.

Not that long ago, the Maori and Native Hawaiians faced exactly the
same scenario that we now face. Fluent speakers had dwindled to only
a mere handful of elders. Children not only struggled to grasp their
cultural identity, but they also struggled to find success or meaning
in education.

But then, a small group of dedicated parents started gathering to
teach their children the languages that they were unwilling to let
die. They gathered in living rooms, garages, backyards or wherever
they could find space. As people began to notice the children
speaking their languages, more parents flocked to these "language
nests." With time, the living rooms became classrooms and the nests
became fully developed immersion education systems.

Today, Maori and Hawaiian speakers number in the thousands. Children
are no longer lost in the educational system. They are unafraid to
succeed and thrive. As one Maori educator told me when I visited New
Zealand in 2004, they are "fiercely Maori."
  <http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif>

I dream of a day when we will have "fiercely Native" children
succeeding at every level of education, speaking their languages and
knowing who they are and from where they came. I believe in my heart
that immersion education is the path that will lead us there.

Language immersion education is the only effective method to produce
large numbers fluent speakers. Additionally, contrary to some
people's fears, language immersion education actually improves Native
students' academic achievement, rather than hinders it. The
combination of mental acuity developed by becoming bilingual and the
academic confidence engendered when Indian culture is embraced in the
classroom has proven remarkably successful for Indian children.

Congress is currently considering Senate Bill 2674, which, if
enacted, will promote language immersion education and provide much-
needed funding for these programs. We must stand united to support
this bill. Still, my experience with the Maori demonstrated to me
that we cannot wait for Congress to sanction what we already know we
must do.

We must follow the lead of the Piegan Institute in Montana and the
Akwesasne Immersion School in New York state, which have already
begun critical immersion work. We must support the fledgling
immersion programs at Colville, Gros Ventre and others to build their
own language nests and create new generations of Native leaders that
will bring us out of poverty and despair.

And we must all recognize that Native languages not only connect us
with our ancestors and our traditional ways, but also with each other.

They provide a window to the rich cultural heritage of Native people,
a heritage that is woven throughout the beautiful tapestry that is
this society as a whole.