Affordable digital recorder advice

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 1 14:52:17 UTC 2006

All,
What linguists need and what community members need are different in many
ways. However I think it can be argued that community members are
increasingly taking responsibility for collecting and working with language
materials. David's plan to use grants to purchase equipment is really good
-- folks in the community I work for are approaching the tribal council and
also looking for grants. In the meantime, doing what David is doing --
recording with the best affordable stuff, is exactly right. It is at least
wise to be aware of what is out there and of what to purchase once you get
those grants!!

I want to suggest that 'capturing every nuance' isn't very important for
much of the work going on now -- But -- someday those recordings may take on
even more importance than one could imagine ...So I will continue to suggest
that 1) Don't wait to buy expensive equiptment to start recording but 2) DO
know what to get when you have the chance to purchase and try to find a way
to upgrade and improve all equipment -- as Phil suggests, recording itself
is just part of the picture.

Susan

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English
Affiliate faculty: Department of Linguistics
and the Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program
American Indian Language Development Institute
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836