NATIONAL: National Indigenous Languages Survey Report 2005 (fwd)

Greg Dickson greg.dickson at KATHLANGCENTRE.ORG.AU
Thu Feb 2 02:27:57 UTC 2006

> NATIONAL: National Indigenous Languages Survey Report 2005
>
>  Source: Senator Rod Kemp
> http://www.abc.net.au/message/news/stories/s1559821.htm
>
>  “Indigenous languages are a rich and important part of Australia’s
> Indigenous cultural heritage and the National Indigenous Languages
> Survey Report 2005 provides a valuable update on their status,”
> Senator Kemp said.

is it just me or does the word 'heritage' make it sound like these
languages are something to do with the past and therefore not so
relevant in 2006.  Another sign our government is not taking them
seriously and waiting until they just 'go away'?

Greg Dickson
Linguist
Ngukurr Language Centre
CMB 6