NATIONAL: National Indigenous Languages Survey Report 2005 (fwd)

Cunliffe D J (Comp) djcunlif at GLAM.AC.UK
Thu Feb 2 09:14:17 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Greg Dickson wrote: is it just me or does the word 'heritage' make it
sound like these languages are something to do with the past and
therefore not so relevant in 2006. Another sign our government is not
taking them seriously and waiting until they just 'go away'?

I must admit that I have some issues with "heritage" too - not so much
in the "language x is part of our national heritage" context, but
certainly in the "x is a heritage language" context. I tend to view
"heritage language" as an American term - though I stand to be corrected
on that.

Of course this is all well and good, so long as you can think of a more
appropriate term, which is particularly problematic when you try to come
up with umbrella terms - "regional or minority languages" anyone? How
about 'minority', 'lesser-used', 'disadvantaged', 'threatened',
'endangered', 'indigenous', 'heritage', 'local', 'non-state'...

Of course all of these have different connotations and precise
definitions not easy - presumably when I am in England speaking English
I am speaking an indigenous language, when I am speaking English in
Wales...?

Be seeing you.

Daniel.