Fwd: 17.552, Media: 6500-year-old voices recorded in pottery!

Sophia Stevenson sophiadianas at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 20 18:35:29 UTC 2006

It's not the recording that's in French, it's the video discussing the find that's in French... The recording played in the video is supposedly in Latin, from a vase fired in Pompeii.

  Having taken a few years of Latin, and after hearing that recording, I find this quite hard to believe. But if that isn't enough, the method of recording using a stylus wasn't used until 1877, when Edison recorded "Mary Had a Little Lamb." And I'm pretty sure he didn't use pottery... (I believe it was tinfoil, actually.) The chances that somebody's vocal vibrations passed into the instrument used to decorate the pottery, and that these vibrations survived through any type of glazing (as was the custom of the period), are incredibly slim.

  Still, it's a neat concept! Makes a good story too...

  Sophia Stevenson
  University of Quebec At Montreal

Mia Kalish <MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US> wrote:
  Actually, I think the article references the process of early recording,
where a stylus like device vibrated and made little holes or dents in the
recording medium. So it's the same principle. Now, whether it's "French" is
really a stretch. English, which I know a bit about, has changed a lot I the
few thousand years we have been watching it. "French" would have had to
change a great deal more in 6,500.

Mia