Linguistic Matls IN the language of study

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sat Feb 25 18:48:13 UTC 2006

Hi, Don,

I have a Chinese friend. I will ask her about the dictionaries. She's an ESL
teacher. Perhaps. . .

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of d_z_o
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:49 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Linguistic Matls IN the language of study

Hi Mia, Back in Futa Jalon, Guinea in the mid-80's I think I saw a
grammar of Pular in Pular. I know I saw a monolingual dictionary in
Pular, done by a grad student in linguistics, typed and stenciled a
few years earlier (I regret that I couldn't get a copy and hope that
there is at least one still extant! Unfortunately don't have the
reference handy).

There may be more of such materials in some major languages of
Africa - there is a university in SW Nigeria for instance where one
can write theses in Yoruba, and it wouldn't surprise me if one has
pertained to the language itself. This should be possible to verify
if of interest.

One last point is tangential, but when studying Chinese, I got the
impression that the grammar as presented conformed to Western
categories, whereas in a few instances I thought the feature of
Chinese in question was more similar to an African language I know
(one example is "present - past" vs. "accomplished -
nonaccomplished" in verb tenses - the latter of which helped me
understand the use of "le" better than the attempts to explain in
terms of present & past). This in turn made me wonder if the Chinese
materials in Chinese use original Chinese categories or whether they
too conform to Western categories but in translation. So that might
be another level of analysis beneath the language of presentation
(but certainly you've thought of that already).

Don

Quoting Mia Kalish <MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US>:
> Hi,
>

> Does anyone know of any cases where the results of linguistic
study of
> Indigenous language have been codified IN the language of study?
That would
> be a grammar actually written in, for example, Navajo or
Jicarilla, rather
> than in English, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, etc?
>

> Thanks for your help. I am currently writing in my dissertation
that there
> are no known cases. . . . I've never seen one, but maybe in Maori?
Hawaiian?