Studies written in indigenous languages

Rudy Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Feb 26 08:46:09 UTC 2006

Mia,

     First a note to the wise: 90% of tonight's digest was composed of copies
of previous notes sent because people did not delete the notes they were
responding to, and sometimes these get three and four deep. It would save a
lot of space in the inbox if the original note were deleted when making the
response (and particularly the note to which the original note is a
response!).

     I think that there have been a number of grammatical sketches,
dictionaries,
and the like produced as contributions to bilingual programs in Guatemala,
Mexico, and Peru. It is hard to dig them out, since they are just locally
produced and distributed, but they do exist.

     Also, I know that Paul Platero talked about submitting his dissertation
on Navajo at MIT in Navajo, but I'm not sure whether he went through with it.
However, he did initiate the Navajo Language Review, which we sponsored at the
Center for Applied Linguistics when I was Director, and it contained a number
of articles on Navajo written in Navajo. In addition, there was a lot of
material on teaching Navajo produced by the Title VII Materials Development
Center at the University of New Mexico. It is sad that knowledge of all of
this fine work has disappeared into the sand, and been forgotten.

     Rudy Troike