Studies written in indigenous languages

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sun Feb 26 16:12:13 UTC 2006

Hi, Rudy,

Pardon me for being perhaps a moron, but are you saying that all the Title
VII materials are gone? They are not even in the UNM library?

It is interesting to me that you describe these dictionaries and grammatical
sketches as "contributions to bilingual programs". D'Ambrosio made this
intriguing statement that without history, knowledge is deprived of status.
I think of all the dictionaries we have in English that stand on their own,
that are the subject of Focus, by which I mean shining light on, studying,
and talking about. I think if we are going to do anything serious about
revitalization we have to unearth these things and make them
objects-to-think-with (Papert). I am 3.5 hours south of UNM, so I could go
up there and see what could be unearthed. I have wonderful scanner software
that might be trained to recognize Navajo. I'll write to them and see. . . .

I also remember reading some things by Paul Platero. A web search shows that
he published some things with Ken Hale. I lived in Boston for a substantial
chunk of my life, so I know MIT pretty well. I lost track of Platero at
Prescott College, but I did find Ted Fernald. And Gary Witherspoon still
seems to be around. I loved his book, Language and Art in the Navajo
Universe. :-)

Thanks so much, Rudy. I always learn so much from your posts.

Mia