Software

Garry Forger gforger at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Feb 27 17:20:11 UTC 2006

Let me add some information to the post Sue Penfield made, with the link
to the Southwest Thesaurus http://www.swt.arizona.edu . We had a small
grant to create this several years ago, unfortunately we have not been
updating this but it is still on the web.

The software that was used is called Multites http://www.multites.com/
and is commercially available. I think you can download a trial version
from their website.

There is a short paper on this project at http://ltc.arizona.edu/swtpdf.pdf

I had mentioned this to Sue because she was telling me that having a
dictionary that is sorted alphabetically was not the best solution for
some groups. With this software you can have terms sorted
alphabetically, but you can sort by other creteria, such as
relationships between terms, terms listed by associated areas such as
Geographic Area or Fuana as examples from our thesaurus.

The categories would be determined when you are creating the thesaurus
and would be unique to whatever works for your set of terms.

The software also has multiple language possiblities so that you could
relate terms to each other that are in several languages.  This has not
been done for our project but the software enables this if you want to
use it.

I hope this information is helpful.

Garry Forger

Susan Penfield wrote:

> Hi,
> Yesterday I mentioned that I have been looking at a new software which
> might be usable
> for creating thematic dictionaries (a very user-friendly option) . I
> would like some others to take a look
> to see what they think of it . Check out www.swt.arizona.edu
> <http://www.swt.arizona.edu>.
> Best,
> Susan
>
> --
> Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
>
> Department of English
> Affiliate faculty: Department of Linguistics
> and the Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program
> American Indian Language Development Institute
> Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836

Garry J. Forger, MLS, MWS
(Santa Cruz Watershed)
Development and Grants Management Officer
for Learning Technologies
The University of Arizona
gforger at email.arizona.edu
520-626-3918