"In", "for", or "with"? (was Re: [ILAT] LSA 2006)

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 11 20:16:53 UTC 2006

David,
Thanks so much for these valuable insights. I agree that native scholars
have a distinct and special place in all of this and am happy that the ranks
are growing! I'd also like to call attention to those whom Phil and I have
refer to as 'community intellectuals' -- people whose intellectual expertise
has made a significant contribution to the advancement of language issues. I
count here, for instance,one person I worked with for many years who took it
really upon herself to become literate in Mohave and who began to write
materials (but very sadly passed away suddenly). These folks often go
unrecognized completely.
Interestingly, I've heard the term 'insider-outsider' lately used
in different ways. It is frequently used to describe native scholars, who
bridge both the community and the academy,  and sometimes also used to
describe outsiders who live/work in the community.

Like Jan, I hope more native scholars on this list will jump in here...
S.

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English
Affiliate faculty: Department of Linguistics
and the Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program
American Indian Language Development Institute
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836