"In", "for", or "with"? (was Re: [ILAT] LSA 2006)

Anggarrgoon anggarrgoon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:22:19 UTC 2006

Me again,
I have run into problems with this notion of "community" - in
particular, it quickly becomes problematic in areas with patrilects, or
clan/family groups, and areas where the "community" is not isomorphic to
the "language" or "speech community". For example, if I am employed by a
particular family to work on their language, they might not want the
work that I do to be more widely available, and that includes to other
speakers of the same language.
Sometimes the elders in the community want to work with a linguist, but
the younger people don't. It's often the younger people in charge of the
community council, and they are the people who have most of the
experience negotiating with government bodies and who as a consequence
have most of the power in current social structures. BUT traditionally,
and until quite recently, it would be the elders who would make
decisions about who had access to cultural information, including language.
So if I take the full community consultation route, I am disregarding
the wishes of those who have the knowledge to impart and who want it
recorded in the first place. Here "community" is just another external
social construct.
This is not a hypothetical example, it comes up all the time.
Claire