Words help us see and talk (fwd)

Tue Jan 31 21:37:02 UTC 2006

	  WORDS HELP US SEE AND TALK

An image of the ring of colored squares.

The language we speak affects half of what we see, according to researchers at
the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Chicago.
	  http://www.physorg.com/printnews.php?newsid=10413

Scholars have long debated whether our native language affects how we perceive
reality — and whether speakers of different languages might therefore see the
world differently. The idea that language affects perception is controversial,
and results have conflicted. A paper published this month in the _Proceedings
of the National Academy of Sciences_ supports the idea — but with a twist. The
paper suggests that language affects perception in the right half of the visual
field, but much less, if at all, in the left half. The paper, “Whorf
Hypothesis is Supported in the Right Visual Field but not in the Left,” by
Aubrey Gilbert, Terry Regier, Paul Kay, and Richard Ivry — is the first to
propose that language may shape just half of our visual world.

Terry Regier is Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Chicago.
Gilbert is a graduate student in the Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute at UC
Berkeley. Kay is Professor Emeritus of Linguistics and a senior research
scientist at the International Computer Science Institute in Berkeley. Ivry is
a Professor of Psychology, director of UC Berkeley's Institute of Cognitive and
Brain Sciences, and a member of the Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute.

This finding is suggested by the organization of the brain, the researchers
say. Language function is processed predominantly in the left hemisphere of the
brain, which receives visual information directly from the right visual field.
“So it would make sense for the language processes of the left hemisphere to
influence perception more in the right half of the visual field than in the
left half”, said Terry Regier of the University of Chicago, who proposed the
idea behind the study.

The team confirmed the hypothesis, through experiments designed and conducted
in Richard Ivry’s lab at the University of California, Berkeley. “We were
thrilled to find this sort of effect and are very interested in investigating
it further,” said Gilbert, the lead author on the study. The hypothesis was
confirmed in experiments that tested Berkeley undergraduates, and also in an
experiment that tested a patient whose hemispheres had been surgically
separated. “The evening I first reviewed the split-brain patient data I called
people at home in my excitement to share the findings,” said Gilbert.

Many of the distinctions made in English do not appear in other languages, and
vice versa. For instance, English uses two different words for the colors blue
and green, while many other languages — such as Tarahumara, an indigenous
language of Mexico — instead use a single color term that covers shades of
both blue and green. An earlier study by Paul Kay and colleagues had shown that
speakers of English and Tarahumara perceive colors differently: English speakers
found blues and greens to be more distinct from each other than speakers of
Tarahumara did, as if the English “green” / “blue” linguistic distinction
sharpened the perceptual difference between the colors themselves. The present
study essentially repeated the English part of that earlier test, but also made
sure that colors were presented to either the right or the left half of the
visual field — something the earlier study hadn’t done — so as to test
whether language influences the right half of our visual world more than the
left half, as predicted by brain organization.

In each experimental trial of the present study, participants saw a ring of
colored squares. All the squares were of exactly the same color, except for an
“odd-man-out” of a different color. The odd-man-out appeared in either the
right or the left half of the circle, and participants were asked to indicate
which side of the circle the odd-man-out was on, by making a keyboard response.
Critically, the color of this odd-man-out had either the same name as the other
squares (e.g. a shade of “green”, while the others were all a different shade
of “green”), or a different name (e.g. a shade of “blue”, while the others
were all a shade of “green”). The researchers found that participants
responded more quickly when the color of the odd-man-out had a different name
than the color of the other squares — as if the linguistic difference had
heightened the perceptual difference — but this only occurred if the
odd-man-out was in the right half of the visual field, and not when it was in
the left half. This was the predicted pattern.

Earlier studies addressing the possible influence of language on perception
tended to look for a simple yes or no answer: either language affects
perception, or it does not. In contrast, the current findings support both
views at once. Language appears to sharpen visual distinctions in the right
visual field, and not in the left visual field. The researchers conclude that
“our representation of the visual world may be, at one and the same time,
filtered and not filtered through the categories of language.”

Source: University of Chicago

_This news is brought to you by PHYSORG.COM_