Buffet, Gates, & the future of linguistic diversity

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sat Jul 1 18:16:26 UTC 2006

I am going to hazard a guess that projects will do better if they provide a
Technology Improvement hook. After all, people like to work on the things
that interest them most, and Gates == Microsoft == Technology.

The other thing that causes problems with projects is the vast difference in
Time to Complete. Technology likes to move very fast. People don't always.
Technology likes to try lots of different options, see how things look lots
of different ways. Do things nobody has done before. People don't always. I
know a lot of the people I have worked with will argue for hours, sometimes
days and weeks, over the 1 right way to say something. Things would move
faster and accomplish more if ALL the ways were included.

This One-Way-Only is not limited to Indigenous groups: When I was a
consultant, lots of people in commerce, banking, the stock market,
engineering, and construction thought their view was the Only View. It was
only when they found themselves left out of the loop that they began to open
their eyes and see that there were lots of perspectives and that all were
valid, operational, and necessary to keep the overall system working well.
You don't see these fine and often sophisticated details until you have to
Reproduce a System Exactly in Software. Designers become hard-bitten because
if it doesn't work, the fact that John, or Sam or someone told you how it
works doesn't place the responsibility for fixing what doesn't work on John,
or Sam or someone. YOU, the designer, who Believed rather than verifying,
are still responsible. And guess what: You don't get to go home until it IS
fixed. So you learn. You learn to develop a sense of balance, of smooth
functioning, and you watch how data and information moves so everyone has
what they need to do what they need to do. And then, joy of joy, you get to
get on that plane and fly home. Dog, Significant Other, bed, porch, kitchen.
. . . Home. Is there any other place like it?

Mia

  _____