Buffet, Gates, & the future of linguistic diversity

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 1 17:39:34 UTC 2006

All,
I can certainly confirm what Phil adds here -- and I have shared these ideas
with my contact at the Gates Foundation. Like many private foundations, the
Gates Foundation supports projects with a particular focus in a rotating
fashion. Their interest in Native American concerns has been limited to
tribal libraries In our case, we were able to cover training in
language-learning technology by orchestrating an affiliation with a tribal
library. However, they have not yet been interested in broadly supporting
language revitalization nor any language-related projects that are not
focused on tribal libraries.

Best,
Susan

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English(Primary)
American Indian Language Devel.Institute
Department of Linguistics
Second Language Acquistion &Teaching
     Ph.D. Program
Dept. of Language,Reading and Culture