Be Creative

johnny hilljr johnny_hilljr at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 25 16:11:24 UTC 2006

hEY Susan where have you been.

Susan Penfield <susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM> wrote:  Andre,

I have to ask -- and am sorry that I do -- but, in this case, would the grant agency count 'Indigenous' languages as 'Foreign Languages" -- Probably not - and, of course, all on this list would blanch at that idea. What I have found is that funding of this type may represent a popular  political agenda which provides great attention toward foreign language teaching (particularly of the 'strategic' languages -- those of anti-US countries). I'm not passing judgement, just making an observation.

I would not want to discourage any program that fosters language teaching. We ,here in the US, do need to expand our horizons in terms of foreign language learning.  However,  I feel that support for endangered Indigenous languages, while surfacing in some places (like NSF/NEH DEL grants and ANA...) is generally not well supported by private foundations. This is particularly true of grants for immersion activities to support revitalization.

Given the world language crisis, it would be great if this foundation, for example, would extend the funding for 'innovative and creative programs to support immersion activities for endangered languages." Maybe next year?

Thanks for the post...
Best,
Susan

  On 6/25/06, Andre Cramblit <andrekar at ncidc.org> wrote:         The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Innovation Fund provides one-time grants to spark the creation or expansion of innovative education programs focusing on a particular field each year.

  The 2007 Innovation Fund seeks proposals in two areas:
  1) International educational experiences occurring outside the United States, and
  2) Foreign language immersion programs located in the United States or abroad.

  Maximum Award:$150,000.

  Eligibility: Programs must serve at least in part low- to moderate-income U.S. high school students who are high-achieving or have exceptional potential.

  Deadline: June 29, 2006.

  http://www.jackkentcookefoundation.org/jkcf_web/home.aspx?Page=Main

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English(Primary)
American Indian Language Devel.Institute
Department of Linguistics
Second Language Acquistion &Teaching
     Ph.D. Program
Dept. of Language,Reading and Culture