Info Request

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri Mar 10 11:50:58 UTC 2006

Sue Penfield was saying that we really need to start writing in the
intersection between language and E-learning.

I think that the reason not many people replied is just because there isn’t
anything out there: Last night in my dissertation class, people were talking
about all the “choices” they could make about how far back they went in time
for their lit review, and what views to choose, and what schools to include
. . they were looking at the canon as a cornucopia, a vast area of “choice”.

So I pulled out my book on Rough Rock by Teresa McCarty and Mary Eunice
Romero’s dissertation and showed how the canon was very sparse, and Teresa
and Mary Eunice used ethnography to provide the background and context that
in other documents was being established by the lit review. I also talked
about how the “feel” of the writing was different, because when you are
referencing, you can just say (Gibbs, 1995), and people either know Raymond
Gibbs, or they can go read him. But when its from the People, you have to
write a paragraph or two that includes what they say, and how you see it
contributing in your context. People were stunned to see it from that point.
I got to talk about gatekeeping, and how difficult it was to create a canon
before some Native critical pedagogists started writing and pointing out
differences between what Sandy Grande (Quecha) calls Red Pedagogy and the
expectations embedded in pedagogies for white and Black/African American
students, both of whom are very assimilationist.

Of course, I should say that there isn’t all that much good research on
E-learning. There is a lot of theory and posturing and hypothesizing, but
people seem very reluctant to actually look at approaches vs. results. What
I have seen most distance people do is simply move text onto the computer .
. . not all that far removed from the dreaded kill-and-drill. People don’t
know how to do animations and sound, create the rich materials that make
learning so much easier. They are still into that, Okay, now your challenge
as a student is to translate and interpret this long string of text into
something that makes sense to you, and then, in the same step as you a
building the basic understandings, I want you to extrapolate to new ideas
and new understandings. (Doesn’t happen; too much cognitive work in too
short a space).

Mia

  _____