Info Request

Apolonia Tamata tamata_a at USP.AC.FJ
Sat Mar 11 03:20:00 UTC 2006

Hello everyone!

Here at the University of the South Pacific we have been offering a
100-level introductory level Fijian linguistics course via Distance
Learning for several years now. The course is in Fijian and targets
Fijian speakers. Most of our students are from within Fiji but live in
the islands and inland. We've had a couple of Fijian speakers from
outside of Fiji taking the course too. The course is print based
(elearning is a new thing for us) and is supported by satellite
tutorials and tutorial visits. We hope to offer more of our courses
though Distance Learning in the future and we will explore other modes
of learning. One such course is Fijian for Beginners for those who wish
to learn Fijian.

Happy teaching!

Apolonia Tamata

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jordan Lachler
Sent: Friday, 10 March 2006 2:19 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Info Request

Alice Taff has been coordinating a conversational
Deg Xinag course by telephone for most of the past 10 years.  See:

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jar/TIL_5.html

There is a Tlingit university class and a
Tsimshian learners' circle in Juneau that also
uses teleconferencing to patch in Native speakers
from other communities, and I've been doing some
of that myself with Haida lately.  It's not the
highest-tech solution, but it works pretty good.

Háw'aa,

Jordan