Broadcasting: RadPed

Jesse Gaskell jeps at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Wed Mar 15 03:41:58 UTC 2006

This conversation reminds me of the words spoken to indigenous people
around the turn of the century. Some Elders reflect that their
grandparents told them that they were extinct. Languages don't die from
not using them they die from not remembering them........said one old
wise Elder.

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mia Kalish
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 7:28 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Broadcasting: RadPed

Hi, Claire :-)

It's that "repetitive" thing you know: Experts . . . .  Language dead .
. .

And we hear it over and over and over, like a mantra. When I saw that
thing come in about Cherokee today, I really wanted to peak over the
edge of my cubicle and say, Nope, that's not true. We are doing all
these things over here to make sure its not true.

Hope you are well.

Mia