Broadcasting: RadPed

Anggarrgoon anggarrgoon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 20:01:49 UTC 2006

Hi Mia,
I read something somewhere once about what I'll call the F* you factor
in language maintenance. I can't remember where I read this, and that's
my paraphrase (sorry if it offends anyone, but it's catchy). Basically
the idea was that some communities under pressure from English (this was
in Australia and the US) went to extraordinary lengths to make sure the
kids learnt the language as a type of protest - the "you might try to
kill our language but you can't and we'll spite you by learning it
anyway" fighting philosophy. But now there's (some) funding and people
don't get beaten up in the street on a regular basis for speaking an
Indigenous language, the threat isn't perceived as quite as urgent, and
the danger is actually greater.
Claire