Indigenous math

Jennifer Henderson jenn2b4 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 9 21:35:31 UTC 2006

As I continue to teach elementary Native students (on the rez) in a public
school setting.  My students struggle with some of the basic westernized
numeric operation.  Most of my students had a 20% chance of solving a double
digit muliplication problem by traditional forms.  But this year we
introduced an Egyptian method of solving multiplication.  And now most of my
students have a 98% change of solving the problems correctly.

Pro:  alternative non-westernized methods do help native students as
developing learners.

Con:  The No Child Left Behind Law has left little opportunity for
experimentation with various methods of teaching curriculum.  NCLB states
that curriculum must be "research based".  I am seeing less qualitative
research backing our curriculum and most quantifiable data driven
curriculum.  So the school are buying "packaged" curriculum developed by
publishing companies with billion dollar marketing power.

Our school  (3,4,5,6 grades) tries to appliy the same reading, math, and
writing curriculum programs to all the students.  Layer that with frequent
computerized monitored assessments, then we are seeing some potentially
bright native students falling through the cracks at an earlier age.