Indigenous math

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Wed May 10 15:37:48 UTC 2006

Check Out Chisenbop from Korea
http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~aharris/basicComputing/bc5a.html

On May 9, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Jennifer Henderson wrote:

As I continue to teach elementary Native students (on the rez) in a
public school setting.  My students struggle with some of the basic
westernized numeric operation.  Most of my students had a 20% chance
of solving a double digit muliplication problem by traditional
forms.  But this year we introduced an Egyptian method of solving
multiplication.  And now most of my students have a 98% change of
solving the problems correctly.

Pro:  alternative non-westernized methods do help native students as
developing learners.

Con:  The No Child Left Behind Law has left little opportunity for
experimentation with various methods of teaching curriculum.  NCLB
states that curriculum must be "research based".  I am seeing less
qualitative research backing our curriculum and most quantifiable
data driven curriculum.  So the school are buying "packaged"
curriculum developed by publishing companies with billion dollar
marketing power.

Our school  (3,4,5,6 grades) tries to appliy the same reading, math,
and writing curriculum programs to all the students.  Layer that with
frequent computerized monitored assessments, then we are seeing some
potentially bright native students falling through the cracks at an
earlier age.