Unlocking the secret sounds of language

Wed May 10 04:35:00 UTC 2006

After reading the article, I have to root for the Pirahã here as I am
ever more
convinced that as more and more indigenous languages become documented
that the
natural genius of human language will become evident.  With 6,000 (est.)
languages in the world we seem to know so little about how or why a language
should be in our mouth making sounds but we do pretty good when it does.
Too it seems most appropriate now that it takes a fairly remote indigenous
speech community to revolutionize the way we think about language!  I do hope
that the Pirahã continue to remain Pirahã as I do not wish them to be
like us
even though Universal Grammar says it should be so and linguists labor to make
it so.
Phil Cash Cash