First Nations seek clarification on status of $160 million in Aboriginal language funding (fwd)

Mon Nov 6 02:34:57 UTC 2006

FIRST NATIONS SEEK CLARIFICATION ON STATUS OF $160 MILLION IN ABORIGINAL
LANGUAGE FUNDING

      OTTAWA, Nov. 2 /CNW Telbec/ - Assembly of First Nations National Chief
Phil Fontaine calls upon Heritage Minister Bev Oda to assure First Nations
that $160 million in Aboriginal language funding will still be available for
First Nations languages. In a conversation with the Minister, the National
Chief was led to believe the funding is no longer on the table. Conflicting
messages from officials at Canadian Heritage have created even more
uncertainty.
    "Preserving our languages, our way of life, is a sacred trust that must
never be broken," said AFN National Chief Phil Fontaine. "We consider the loss
of any language funding as a direct attack on First Nations. Language is the
very foundation of our cultures and traditions, and it is the key to our
identity as First Nations peoples."
    "Based on the 2002 allocation of $172.5 million, many First Nations
communities have been preparing proposals and work plans so they can enhance
their activities around preserving and teaching their languages and culture,"
noted the National Chief. "We are, therefore, very surprised by the Minister's
comments."
    "First Nations languages are indigenous to this country and they must be
preserved to ensure that they can flourish for current and future
generations," commented the National Chief. "Many of our people suffer from
the intergenerational effects of the federal government's decades-long
policies concerning residential schools. Studies by BC Professors Michael
Chandler and Chris Lalonde have shown that where our languages and cultures
are thriving, so are the communities. People are happier and healthier --
there are few or no suicides.
    "We sincerely hope that this "re-allocation" of $160 million in funding
will result in even more than the original amount in order to further
strengthen and preserve our languages," commented the National Chief. "From
the Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples, a decade ago, to
last year's First Ministers Meeting in Kelowna, to Conservative party policy,
recommendations and commitments were made to preserving and teaching First
Nations language for future generations. The federal government should
demonstrate the honour of the Crown and fulfill its obligations to help
preserve and revitalize First Nations languages and cultures. It is important
to Canada's identity."

   The Assembly of First Nations is the national organization representing
First Nations citizens in Canada.

  For further information: Bryan Hendry, A/Director of Communications,
(613) 241-6789, ext. 229, Cell (613) 293-6106, bhendry at afn.ca