Phraselator

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 7 20:47:16 UTC 2006

Ah, Phil,
So well said--and all of this discussion should be a reminder that
technology is a powerful tool -and its use needs to be carefully
calculated so as not to over-power the central purpose of the task at hand.
Language and language learning are the most human of activities and language
exchange is the richest part of that experience. We take much away from that
when we subsititute
technology for real human interaction. The message coming through all of
this is to not be too quick to jump 'on the band wagon' -- but to carefully
consider not just the immediate impact but the long-term results of reliance
on technology.  That said, in situations where there are few remaining
speakers, technology can support some of the pedagagical tasks, and
certainly can be of value -- but the  overall perspective must not be lost.

and that is my two cents $$
Susan

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Associate Director, Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language
and Literacy (CERCLL)
Department of English (Primary)
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
Second Language Acquistion &Teaching Ph.D. Program (SLAT)
Deptartment of Language,Reading and Culture
Department of Linguistics
The Southwest Center (Research)

Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836