Distance Learning

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Tue Sep 12 19:05:20 UTC 2006

here is the link to the survey if you have the time.  I think the
deadline has passed but we can always use some back up data and info:

http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=479088

On Sep 12, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Keola Donaghy wrote:

Aloha Andre, personally I believe that a combination of these
technologies is better than selecting any individual one. We use a
combination of WebCT and FirstClass for asynchronous deliver, and
have added Skype over the past year to have some synchronous
interaction with students, and have some streaming video now as well.
We're also developing some podcasts to supplement both online classes
and our on-campus students as well.

The major consideration for us was the target audience. We wanted to
serve the largest possible population - cross-platform support,
people with dialup connections, and have people from around the world
participating at the same time. That made the syncronous portion
difficult, but as our student base grew and more students began to
have access to broadband we have been able to find enough students
available at the same time to have live group discussion and practice
session.

Some of this is documented in a paper I did at DigitalStream a few
years ago, though the use of live audio via Skype was added later:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/eng/digitalstream2003.html

My understanding is that WIMBA has worked out the problems we
encountered and there are other web audio technologies that work as
well, but we've stuck with FirstClass for now.

HTH,

Keola

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies