Distance Learning

Jan Tucker jtucker at STARBAND.NET
Tue Sep 12 21:52:23 UTC 2006

Greetings Andre,

The online language class offered by http://Cherokee.org synchronous
classes. The class has slides which the instructor can add notes to as he
teaches. There is also a chat, so you can interact in writing to your fellow
learners, and ask questions of the instructor. You can also ask questions
directly to the instructor privately in another tool, and he will stop and
answer periodically.  Those with a web cam can see the instructor and be
seen by the instructor. At the end of a class they give quizzes to help
students check their understanding. There are live scheduled classes,
prerecorded classes and archived classes are available.

There are support materials for different aspects of language learning on
their website, such as syllabary practice, hangman word games for vocabulary
building, and other interactive flash games. Students have created CD's on
their own of the audio and slides, and shared them with each other for
study. The live online class event is the most fun since you are in a
classroom with others learning the language and it's interactive.

In my view the learning would improve if this wonderful live class was
supported by a study guide for learning the language in a Web Based
environment with practice activities laid out to build on the live lessons.
I started to work on providing such a resource and have a rough model of
what you could do. I've played around with some free software for course
delivery and some free tools for making different kinds of audio/video
quizzes. It needs a lot more work.

I've often thought that if students had learning partners who they could
practice speaking with that they would do better at being able to
communicate in the language. Right now, I know the sounds, can pronounce
what I read, but can't really converse or respond to anyone. I am not
spending the time practicing conversation in between the lessons. If I had a
partner to talk to that would make me study and perform.

Jan Tucker