Speaking up for culture; Fundraiser supports native languages (fwd)

Mon Aug 20 16:50:48 UTC 2007

Speaking up for culture; Fundraiser supports native languages

Richard Beales
Monday, August 20, 2007 - 07:00
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=659789&catname=Local%20News&classif=

Local News - A glint came to Art Martin's eye as he spoke about fighting to
save the Mohawk and Cayuga languages.

"See this?" he said, pointing to his T-shirt. "It says 'Hanyoh!' That means
'Come on!' with urgency; it means 'Let's go!'

"Our languages are in a state of crisis, bottom line."

Martin, 28, of Chiefswood Road, was among a small but spirited group Sunday
at the Six Nations Community Hall to help stage an all-day fundraising
event called "Hanyoh! Language for tomorrow!"

Organizers hoped to raise as much as $15,000 through a sponsored plastic
turtle race down the Grand River, a silent auction, concessions,
entertainment, smoke dancing and traditional games.

educational materials

The event was put on by the Kawenni:io/Gaweni:yo Language Preservation
Project, a group dedicated to producing educational materials in Mohawk and
Cayuga for use primarily in Six Nations schools, but available to anyone
with an interest.

Martin acknowledged he could have used the project's books, videos and other
teaching aids as a youngster.

"I grew up without my language (Mohawk)," he said. "But I always knew it was
there."

As a graphic artist, he has been helping promote the project, but has been
too busy to benefit from its most basic advantage - learning the Mohawk
language.

"It's unfortunate, but true."

Sitting near Martin at a table selling commemorative ribbons was Margaret
Green, 16, of Stoneridge Circle. Though just a dozen years younger than
Martin, she has benefited from a different attitude toward languages.

"I've pretty well been learning (Cayuga) all my life," said Margaret, a
student at Kawenni:io high school.

A third language of the Six Nations, Onondaga, is also in peril, said
project co-ordinator Angela Elijah. Efforts are ongoing to preserve Oneida
in the London area, while Seneca is being taught in a school at Allegheny,
N.Y.

The sixth tongue, Tuscarora, is most vulnerable. Elijah said there are few
speakers of that language still alive.

brainstorming session

Sunday's fundraiser responsed to the provincial education ministry's refusal
to extend funding to the project. Elijah said a brainstorming session led to
the idea, which was as much about awareness as raising money.

Funding remains crucial, however. The project's annual $290,000 operating
budget, provided by the Department of Indian Affairs, ends this year. But
the need to produce quality materials remains.

"Where's our funding going to come from?" she asked. "We need to continue."

teaching position

Elijah will not continue with the program past next week, except a a
consultant, because she has taken a teaching position in Ganienkeh, near
Altona, N.Y.

"I'll be working with beginning speakers, from the little ones up to older
adults."

She recalled her earlier days as a teacher and noted how far aboriginal
language instruction has come.

"When I was teaching," she said, "I remember being saddened by looking at
the shelves" and seeing no books written in aboriginal languages. She would
have to go home with the English-language works, translate them and cut and
paste into Mohawk or Cayuga.

"Kids were using second-rate material," she said. "Our kids deserve
first-rate material."

ID- 659789 © 2007 , Osprey Media. All Rights Reserved. This material may not
be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.