Rosetta Stone

Wed Dec 12 22:01:39 UTC 2007

I hope to someday buy me a Rosetta Stone package for say Spanish (Latin
America)
or some such language not just out of curiousity as I do really want to
learn a
"foreign language" (hehe...).  However, I am not too familiar with how the
interface or content of Rosetta is organized.  But I would be concerned about
"cookie cutter" approaches to content.  In some cases, what works for
European
languages may not work for indigenous ones.   This is partly due to
the unique
structures many indigenous  languages possess, such as free word order,
head-dependent marking, complex verb and nominal morphology, etc, etc., (just
to name a few from the syntax side of things, not to mention cultural
pragmatic
issues as well!).  These unique factors should challenge anybody who is not
familiar with these kinds of languages.
With regard to a broader issue, I wonder if any 2nd Lang learning assessments
have been published showing the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of Rosetta
overall?  Let us know...
l8ter,
Phil
UofA