The Government of Canada Supports Manitoba Métis Federation (fwd)

Thu Dec 20 19:12:19 UTC 2007

The Government of Canada Supports Manitoba Métis Federation
http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=369569

WINNIPEG, December 19, 2007 - On behalf of the Honourable Josée Verner, Minister
of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official Languages, the Honourable Vic
Toews, President of the Treasury Board and Member of Parliament (Provencher),
today announced funding for the Manitoba Métis Federation (MMF).

The Manitoba Métis Federation will receive two contributions totalling more than
$980,000.

The $607,691 contribution for 2007-2008 will support 15 community-based projects
for Aboriginal young people in all regions of Manitoba, centred on the themes of
youth leadership, community involvement, and cultural, social, and health
activities. The $375,000 contribution for 2007-2010 will go toward eight
projects to preserve and promote the Michif language.

"The Government of Canada is committed to improving the participation of First
Nations, Inuit, and Métis young people in Canadian society and to preserving
and promoting Aboriginal languages," said Minister Verner.

"These projects will give young people new opportunities to enhance their
economic, social, and personal prospects and help Métis communities to preserve
their language," said Minister Toews.

"The Manitoba Métis Federation is dedicated to improving the lives of our people
and is pleased to partner with Canadian Heritage on these important initiatives.
The significant contribution of $982,691 will assist the MMF in revitalizing and
strengthening our traditions and securing our future," said MMF President David
Chartrand. "We are empowering our youth and the elderly with 15 essential
community-based projects. We are inspiring hope with the preservation and
revitalization of the Michif language of our ancestors. I thank Minister Verner
and her colleagues for recognizing the need to preserve our culture as a part of
a diverse Canada."

The Government of Canada is providing the $607,691 investment under the
Aboriginal Peoples' Program of the Department of Canadian Heritage. This
program is aimed at increasing the participation of First Nations, Inuit, and
Métis people in Canadian society and strengthening their cultural
revitalization. The contribution of $375,000 over three years is provided under
the Aboriginal Languages Initiative of the Department of Canadian Heritage,
which is aimed at preserving and promoting Aboriginal languages and culture.

Information:

Dominic Gosselin
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official
Languages
819 997-7788

Donald Boulanger
A/Chief, Media Relations