Native language acquisition

Richard Smith rzs at TDS.NET
Wed Jul 11 15:45:31 UTC 2007

This discussion of background sound has been really interesting to follow

I wonder how "continual TV presence" works on a young mind as well?
Does the continual mist of sprayed information/entertainment eventually
harden minds so that listening and even seeing requires "conscious effort?"
I notice a strange lethargy in kids before a TV screen,
Rarely laughing at jokes,rarely even smiling at what is obviously funny.
There seems to be no expression of reaction or interaction.
But when I tell/act out traditional stories in a class full of kiddos
MOST of the kids are right with me...snickering,laughing at silly parts
And just a few remain with those glazed over eyes.

Richard
Wyandotte Oklahoma