Cassette Tape Transfeer

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Tue Jul 24 21:19:15 UTC 2007

Aloha kakou. One thing to be careful of in converting from cassette
and even reel-to-reel is to know what kind of noise reduction, if
any, was used during the recording process. Dobly B, Dolby C, and DBX
were all popular in their days. It is sometimes best to make sure
that you have same NR selected in the digitization process, though
I've generally been happier with the results when I have no NR
selected on the playback machine. If the tapes aren't marked you may
have to make a few digital samples with each type of NR. I've found
it fairly easy to recognize when the NR formats are not in alignment
by just listening to playback.

Keola

On 24 Iul. 2007, at 11:06 AM, Nicholas Thieberger wrote:

> For what it's worth, my experience of digitizing files by myself
> may be useful. I just connected the computer and the tape recorder
> and did the work that way, but the files produced by doing this
> were not great. This is because the analog to digital converter in
> computers is not very good.
>
> But I used Transcriber to link to those files, and then later I had
> an archive digitize them at the sort of quality they needed, using
> thebest equipment. So then my Transcriber files didn't link to the
> better quality files. And since I want my transcriptions to relate
> to the files that will be around in the long term, I then had to
> realign my transcripts and audio.
>
> The lesson for me is that I should have made the best possible
> digital version of the cassette to begin with, before I put all the
> time into transcribing it. And that file has to go into an archive
> so that it is available for the speakers of the language in future.

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.