Cost Performance of Video Equipment for Language Documentation

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Thu Nov 1 14:34:22 UTC 2007

Heather,
Laptop magazine does some excellent reviews of digital cameras in all price
ranges and with all capabilities. Also, prices and capabilities keep
changing, so you might want to look for some current reviews. The reviewers
have generally been doing this for quite a while, so their comments give you
a good idea of the types of considerations that are available.
Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Heather Souter
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 7:54 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] Cost Performance of Video Equipment for Language
Documentation

Taanshi, all!

I have a small grant to do some language documentation in my community
using video as the medium.  I am looking to purchase a video camera
that has excellent sound recording (16 bit recording, external mic
jack, etc, etc.) and is easy to use and download to computer.  (I use
as Mac G3.)  I am committed to both creating a video
record/documentary in Michif for my community and also doing some
linguistic annotation as well.  My budget is small and I need to honor
Elders with gifts for their work in the video, so cost performance of
the equipment is paramount.  (Less money spent on equipment, more for
the Elders.  However, we all want excellent quality recordings for
pedagogical and research purposes!)

What would you suggest in terms of equipment and also software (iMovie
for the documentary,  ???? to spit off the sound, etc.)?

Kihchi-maarsi por to-nadinaan!

Eekushi pitamaa.
Heather Souter
Community-based Michif Language Video Documentation Project