Cost Performance of Video Equipment for Language Documentation

Eric Poncet [NunaSoft] tmp at NUNASOFT.COM
Thu Nov 1 22:21:43 UTC 2007

Heather,

I've used our Sony HDR-SR8 for language documentation in Canada. It has
all features you need, even more. Thing is, it can do Hi Definition
video as well, so it's a bit expensive (in the 1600 CAN$). But Sony has
lots of other models. However, I remember the survey I did before I
bought our Sony, and low-cost video recorders did not have external mic
plug.

You may consider buying a hard-drive recorder versus tape-recorder :
tapes have to be read back by the recorder for transfer to the computer,
so a 30 minute-tape take 30 minutes to transfer! whereas hard-drive
transfer over USB (or firewire), as quick as your USB port can go.
Typically, it's 5 to 10 times quicker, and there's an infinitely lower
rate of errors during transfer, compared to tapes...

Everyone in the World of Language Documentation has their opinion:
phonologists will tell you you need top-notch audio quality in order to
not lose more than 0.01% of phonetic info (just an example), so they'll
go for high quality mike and recorder; experts in other fields will tell
you they only need to record "as much info as possible", with no time
and/or money to go in depth... they're all right! I feel by experience
it's better to spend less money on technological resources and more on
human ones... The fact that there's a background noise or that the
picture has imperfections definitely weighs far less than the emotion
people will feel when they see themselves on the video, and when they
feel they've contributed to documenting the language.

Cheers,
Eric Poncet
www.nunasoft.ca
Montreal