My Bad March 17-19 2008

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sun Nov 25 20:03:57 UTC 2007

Dear MJ, Don & Everyone else

Yolanda is still working on finishing, but I can probably share the general
directions. . . more when she has finalized.

Two things of significance seem to be emerging. The first is pretty much a
no-brainer: The immigrant Mexican parents don't want their children to be
like them (although we don't have details on precisely what that means), and
they think that if the children speak English, they won't be perceived as
[whatever the parents are]. This isn't really earth shaking: My father had
this in mind when he wanted me to forego the Eastern European and Gaelic
languages of my ancestors and forebears, and speak only English. To his 6th
grade educated mind, this was the way to "be American" and that was
important enough to him to withstand that fact that his 4 year old daughter
(me) refused to talk to him for months.

The 2nd emergent theme is much more interesting. The parents see educacion
as manners, deportment, values, and carriage or bearing. They do not
distinguish an academic education related to disciplinary content. To them,
what their children are learning seems to be undifferentiated. All they see
is that the children have all these opportunities to learn English. So my
friend originally thought that the reason parents were moving their children
to English immersion, where overall they seem to be doing less well, because
of the information they were getting from their social groups and
connections. It is seeming to turn out to be an issue of information, but
instead one related to what an academic education is as opposed to their
cultural understanding of educacion.

Is this an interesting treat or what?

Tell me your thoughts. We haven't had a really good discussion in a while.

In anticipation,

Mia

  _____