Question About Software

Fri Oct 19 18:35:15 UTC 2007

Good question Kenna.
I am under the impression that few of the language documentation
software (e.g.
linguistic data creation) that linguists use are designed to allow language
teaching or language learning.  I think many might agree that documentation
goals and language revititalizatin goals are compatible and desirable, but in
practice they are quite separate activities and the linguists software
tends to
reflect this reality.
I and others would be thrilled certainly if we could unite documentation and
revitalization as one collaborative activity.  And my impressions from the
recent Indigenous Languages Conference and the Australian Linguistics Society
Conference in Adelaide, Australia this past September shows that this is
happening with promising results!
At the moment, Miromaa (being developed and tested in collaboration with
Aboriginal speakers in Australia) and MaxAuthor (developed with Native
American
speakers/communities and international languages) seem the most capable
of what
you ask for.  Lexique Pro (dictionary software) may also be used for lesson
creation, however, the data results are pretty flat in terms of its one-way
format.  I am not familiar with the other software on your list.  Otherwise,
you may end up migrating masses of data into alternative formats, interfaces,
etc.
Ultimately, with any of these software, you may be limited to designing
lessons
on grammar, structure, and vocabulary rather than developing immersion-based
lessons.  But this is not bad at all!
l8ter,
Phil Cash Cash
UofA