legacy materials

Heitshu, Sara HeitshuS at U.LIBRARY.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Oct 25 16:22:11 UTC 2007

The J. P. Harrington papers have been microfilmed.  We have a set here
at the University of Arizona Library.  There are guides which are worth
their weight in gold.

Sara

Sara C. Heitshu
Librarian, Social Sciences Team
American Indian Studies, Anthropology, Linguistics
Main Library, A211
POB 210055
Tucson Arizona 85721-0055
520-307-2781
Fax 520-626-7444

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of s.t. bischoff
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:40 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] legacy materials

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone might know of some good resources for finding
out
about various legacy materials in museums, archives, garages, etc. I'm
wondering if anyone has sat down and done a survey of all the linguistic
work
that has been done on indigenous languages. For example, I've heard that
Boas
left hundreds if not thousands of pages of material on indigenous
languages.
Also, Harrington has quite a reputation for having left field notes in
various
places. Has anyone done a systematic "inventory" of these types of
materials,
or has anyone proposed some way to do such an inventory? Is anyone aware
of any
archives that have field notes or recordings that are not be utilized?

Thanks,
Shannon
PS Ives Goddard has a nice survey of linguistic work done in the
Americas with
excellent references in the Handbook of American Indians 17, for those
interested in these things.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly,
one begins
to wish facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

--Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia