legacy materials

Joshua Beck jpbeck at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Oct 25 14:25:22 UTC 2007

Under the direction of Norman McQuown at the University of Chicago, many
prominent linguists working on Mesoamerican indigenous languages
(Berlin, Blair, Fox, Hopkins, Kaufman, Mayers, Sarles, Swadesh, and
Whorf, as well as scores of other scholars—nearly 200 in all)
contributed a wealth of field-work based resources (vocabulary lists,
dictionaries, grammars, corpora of texts and elicited sentences,
concordances, and guides to holdings of other research collections -
roughly 175,000 pages of material in all) to the "Microfilm Collection
of Manuscripts on Cultural Anthropology". Most of the Collection is
related to field work on the indigenous languages of Mesoamerica
conducted between 1930-1990 - although the out-dated system of
classifying languages used in much of this material makes it difficult
to assess precisely how many languages are documented in the collection,
a conservative estimate would be around 100. You can find details and a
Guide to the collection online at http://moca.lib.uchicago.edu/. An NEH
Preservation and Access grant to our Language Archives in 2005 has
supported digitization of roughly 500 hours of audio recordings, also
made during the same time period - much of the audio material directly
relates to the textual holdings of the Microfilm Collection. We're
currently seeking support from the NSF/NEH Documenting Endangered
Languages program to digitize the Microfilm Collection, link it to the
digitized audio, and present it online.

--
Josh Beck
Associate Director for Programs & Development

tel. (773) 702-8420
fax (773) 702-1755
http://clas.uchicago.edu