legacy materials

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 26 15:14:43 UTC 2007

Thanks for this, Dan,

I was recently asked if analysis was part of the documentation process -- I
said yes. In truth, though, it comes late in the process -- the urgency of
collecting and archiving data comes first -- given time, some analysis
happens (this is my experience at least).  Ideally, that would not be the
case.

Thanks for calling attention to the divide between documentation and
revitalization -- something which many of us don't like much. Really, these
are complimentary activities -- and should not exist in isolation from one
another.

Susan

On 10/26/07, Dan Harvey <HarveyD at sou.edu> wrote:

> As one who is not a linguist, my focus is on language revitalization,
> not on documentation. I think both are important. I understand why a
> linguist would want to collect data as fast as possible before languages
> go extinct. But I disagree that analysis be done later, after the
> languages have died.
>
> This is a field that spans disciplines. Documentation and analysis can
> be done in parallel if linguistic materials were easily available to
> researchers in other disciplines. I'm a computer scientist and am
> especially interested in creating better software tools that puts data
> into forms that language teachers find helpful. The more I see what
> linguists produce, the easier my job can be.
>
> Thanks for listening, dan

> My apologies for the delay.  And, I just want to add that I appreciate
> your
> response.
>
> What you have just outlined in relation to the creation of legacy
> materials
> is perhaps an ethical though practical solution to the broader problem
> of
> documenting a dying language.  Certainly, it is a linguist's practical
> solution given that there is an emphasis on "gathering data" and
> besides
> there may not be a more practical way.
>
> After having gained some varied experience in linguistic fieldwork, I
> can
> readily agree with everything you propose.  However, there is one
> unique
> element that can be additionally considered in the long term and that
> is
> the aspirations of the endangered language community.  It is certainly
> true
> that endangered language communities and linguists share the same
> concerns
> over preserving a dying language.  What needs to be recognized,
> however, is
> that the aspirations of the endangered language community are
> sometimes
> expressed differently than those of professional linguists.
>
> Linguists (perhaps mostly field linguists) must make an effort to
> re-examine
> their privileged status by taking into account the aspirations of
> endangered
> language communities and the concerns they have towards their heritage
> language.  For example, it is not uncommon for endangered language
> communities to express distrust of linguists over the control of
> language
> materials.  Lack of access creates inequity.  While this situation may
> be a
> thing of the past, this sentiment was expressed to me quite frequently
> during my own fieldwork.  A common question posed to me was "how do we
> get
> our elder's words back?"  The solution seems easy enough.  If they
> [...]

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Associate Director, Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language
and Literacy (CERCLL)
Department of English (Primary)
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
Second Language Acquisition & Teaching Ph.D. Program (SLAT)
Department of Language,Reading and Culture
Department of Linguistics
The Southwest Center (Research)
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836

"Every language is an old-growth forest of the mind, a watershed of thought,
an ecosystem of spiritual possibilities."

                                                          Wade Davis...(on a
Starbucks cup...)