Native linguists

David Lewis David.Lewis at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Tue Oct 30 16:35:28 UTC 2007

Got it thanks.

David G. Lewis

Manager, Cultural Resources Department

Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde

Office 503.879.1634

David.Lewis at grandronde.org <mailto:David.Lewis at grandronde.org>

________________________________

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of s.t. bischoff
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:24 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Native linguists

Lawrence G Nicodemus of the Coeur d'Alene tribe was an important figure
in Salishan linguistics. He created the current community orthography,
wrote a Coeur d'Alene / English dictionary and English / Coeur d'Alene
dictionary. He also worked with most, if not all, the linguists of the
20th Century that worked on Coeur d'Alene. His mother Dorothy Nicodemus,
along with Tom Miyal,  was one of the primary informants for Gladys
Reichard. Lawrence passed away a few years ago. I believe Lawrence was
the subject of Raymond Brinkman's U of Chicago PhD dissertation.