Native linguists

Derksen Jacob jieikobu at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 31 07:26:20 UTC 2007

Thanks for putting this forth.
I constantly rail at the idea of university's so-called formal education being somehow superior to lived experience. The idea of a "formal education" is a social construct and an extremely class-based - and culturally biased! - one  at that. (Don't get me wrong, though; some of my best friends have PhD's...)
That said, I wonder if Earl Claxton, Sr., John Elliott and his late father, David Elliott (Sencoten), and Dr. Burt McKay (Nisga'a) are on the list.
Best,
Jacob

 mber of, etc. > Thank you,> > David G. Lewis> Manager, Cultural Resources Department> Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde> > Office 503.879.1634> David.Lewis at grandronde.org> -----Original Message-----> From: Indigenous Languages and Technology> [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of William J Poser> Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2007 12:10 PM> To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU> Subject: Re: [ILAT] Native linguists> > >I just came across another native linguist!> > > >Dale Old Horn (Crow)> >1974. Some Complement Constructions of the Crow Indian Language> >M.S. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology> > Got him. My current list is at: http://ydli.org/NativeLinguists.html> Anyone with additional information (including gaps in the info on> people already on the list) please let me know.> > Bill