Native linguists

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 31 15:34:59 UTC 2007

Taanshi all,

Although there is not a real *need* for any lists, I am glad that both
of them have been created.  It is great to see the number of Native
people who have gotten training that allows them to bring the force of
their heritage to work in doing linguistic research.  The paradigms
need to change and having people who speak the language of academia
working on their own and other Native languages is an important step.
The more Native PhDs, the greater the chance that Native people will
get into positions of power in academia and be in positions of power
to initiate change and empower other Native researchers of ALL kinds.
It is good to have a list to know where one might find a possible ally
when thinking of going to graduate school.

At the same time, speaker scholars or community intellectuals are
doing work that has the potential to produce change within the
community in a very direct and timely manner.  The potential for
greater inclusiveness is there which is so important.  These people
are so important to the survival of our languages and are with out
question deserving of respect!  It is wonderful to see the names of
some these "unsung heroes" on list so they can be honored more
broadly.

Anyhow, that is all I have to say.  Eekushi.
Heather Souter,
Graduate Student (on leave) and Community Intellectual (?!)
Michif Language
Camperville, MB
Canada