upsurge

Richard Smith rzs at TDS.NET
Fri Sep 21 00:08:44 UTC 2007

Bill,
oh yeah...we've had lengthy discussion
but his answer is always the same
which is basicly that "some say tomato some say tomAHdo"
but the question he doesn't answer so well is
if the old phonetic charts are good why invent a new one?
the further we wander from our sources the easier it is to "reinvent"

but a friend now is giving me a 101 on the difference
between phonemics and phonetics
Maybe it will help me understand our linguists stubborn approach
after all, he is a retired University prof and who am i?

One of the best compliments i received was from a Navajo woman who taught
Navajo Language in Blanding Utah. (yes...I was fussy about my Navajo too)
and she told me after she heard me speak a little Navajo ,
she didn't hear an outsiders accent...
but then of course...i didn't want her to hear another word!

Richard