upsurge

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Sep 26 22:30:32 UTC 2007

Wow, this was truly a return to my childhood for me. I grew up in New
Hampshire, which is not too far south from Quebec. One of my uncle’s parents
were from there. But the real blast was mention of the Huron confederacy.
For some reason, the Hurons are woven into the tapestry of that time – my
childhood, that is. I don’t recall quite why, nor can I explain the joy that
surges, hearing that you met to rekindle the Huron Confederacy.

Just thought I’d share . . .  :-)

Mia

  _____

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Richard Smith
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:36 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] upsurge

Yes Kevin,
that was us meeting in the Midland Ontario area,for reburial/repatriation of
our ancestors
remains and to recognize and rekindle the old "Huron" Confederacy in 1999.
Some of us have close brother/sister ties with Wendats of Wendake,Quebec.
I visit Wendake every couple years to hold traditional pottery workshops and
discuss language
efforts and compare our dialect similarities and differences.
Yes it's my understanding that the Wendat language borrows much from Wyandot
material
and  Mohawk Language is being used to fill in missing gaps by
Michel GrosLouis who recently gained his Masters degree in Quebec in
Linguistics.
Eventually He will most likely be hired as a full time linguist for the
Wendat nation.
There is another Wendat woman preparing to get her masters in
linguistics,and already
ceremonies are restored in Wendake in a beautiful Longhouse.

Yes, our Wyandot language seems closer akin to what is known as "Seneca",
an Iroquoian language of a group of mixed tribes removed from the Ohio
valley,
and yes Craig Kopris who i really respect (a differant linguist) is helping
a good deal
and does alot of study of the shared Iroquoian roots.
It sounds like Lavel University will be helping too

"community driven study" at this point is probably not accurate to describe
us...
But definitely a "community excited to support" language recovery work!

Richard
Wyandotte Oklahoma